Q. How do most of your congregation dress; casual, business casual, formal?
A. Dress comfortably! Our services are “come as you are.” There are no expectations and no dress code. You will be warmly welcomed whether you wear jeans and a t-shirt or a 3-piece suit…whether you are a life-long believer or just checking out our church for the first time…whether you are full of faith or full of doubt. We welcome you!
Q. What words does your church use that are particular to your church – Baptism, Communion, Sacraments?
A. With many other Protestants, we recognize the two sacraments in which Christ himself participated: Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
* Through baptism we are joined with the church and with Christians everywhere. * Baptism is a symbol of new life and a sign of God’s love and forgiveness of our sins. *Persons of any age can be baptized. * We baptize by sprinkling, immersion, or pouring. * A person receives the sacrament of baptism only once in his or her life.
The Lord’s Supper (Holy Communion, Eucharist)
* The Lord’s Supper is a holy meal of bread and wine (fruit of the vine, grape juice) that symbolizes the body and blood of Christ. * The Lord’s Supper recalls the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and celebrates the unity of all the members of God’s family. * By sharing this meal, we give thanks for Christ’s sacrifice and are nourished and empowered to go into the world in mission and ministry. * We practice “open communion”, welcoming all who love Christ, repent of their sin, and seek to live in peace with one another.
Q. What are the rules for taking Communion?
A. United Methodist Christians practice what we call an “open table”, which means that all Christians, regardless of denomination, are welcome to participate in Holy Communion at Waverly First UMC. Communion is served quarterly at our Saturday evening worship, monthly during our regular Sunday worship, and every week at our Wednesday Praise and Prayer service.
Q. Where & when are the church services?
* Our Sunday Morning Worship is held in the sanctuary at 10:30 a.m. This is a traditional worship service.
* Saturday Evening’s 6:00 p.m. worship, “New Beginnings” is also held in the sanctuary. This non-traditional 30-40 minute service features praise music, prayer, scripture, and a short message.
* During New Beginnings a children’s church is held in the Sunday school classroom across from the sanctuary.
* Wednesday morning Prayer Service is at 9:00 a.m. each week.
Q. How would you describe the church services?
A. At Waverly First UMC’s worship we will express our hearts to God through music, seek God’s intercession through individual and corporate prayer, and hear teaching of God’s word.
Q. Will I have to say anything or sign anything?
A. Don’t worry…you will not be put on the spot, singled-out, or embarrassed. To have a record of your attendance, we would like you to fill out an attendance slip included with the bulletin. Attendance slips and prayer request cards are collected during the first worship song.
Q. How does your church handle singing?
A. You may raise your hands or clap as the Spirit moves you. Music during our Saturday evening worship is only on the screens, and is more contemporary. On Sunday mornings the words to music are on the screens, although hymnals are available for use in the pews.
Q. Are children allowed to worship in the services with their parents or does your church provide a children’s worship?
A. Children of all ages are welcome in worship! However, for your convenience, we do offer a nursery with paid staff for children on Sundays. Saturday evening, Children’s church is offered to children K-5.
Q. Is there a nursery for infants and toddlers?
A. For your convenience, we do offer a nursery with paid staff for children on Sundays.
Q. What about Christian education?
A. Sunday School classes for all ages are offered beginning at 9:15 a.m. before the Sunday morning worship service. In addition, a variety of Bible studies, book studies, lectures, etc. are available throughout the year. Check out the Sunday School page for more details.
Q. How does one donate, via an offering plate that is passed, drop box, online?
A. Tithes, gifts and offerings are received by a plate passed in the pews during Sunday Worship. At the Saturday evening, “New Beginnings” worship a basket is provided where you may drop your offering.
Q. How can I learn more about joining Waverly First United Methodist?
A. Waverly First welcomes new members in three ways: baptism on profession of faith, re-affirmation of faith, or transfer from another Christian church. For information speak with our Pastor.
Q. Where can I park?
A. You can park anywhere you like. We have plenty of on street parking in front of the building. Most people enter through the main front entrance where the elevator is located.